Let us go straight into the different aspects of tree cutting. I wish to tell you in advance that safety must be given top priority as tree cutting can be fatally dangerous and can cause serious injuries and damages to body parts. In my opinion a novice should not proceed to cut a 60 feet tall tree. It has to be entrusted to local tree removal companies. As a first step you may go for cutting trees which are less than 20 feet in height.
Tools and protection for tree removal
For protecting your body from probable damages and injuries every person who endeavor in tree cutting must wear a protective gear consisting of the following
- Goggles for eye protection
- Hard hat for protecting the head
- Steel toed boots and chaps for leg protection
- Working gloves for hand protection
Important tools needed for engaging in tree cutting activity are detailed below.
- Chain saw
- A helper
Assessing the tree and the surrounding
As a first step to tree cutting the site of the tree has to be inspected so that answers to the following questions can be obtained. These answers will help you to understand the severity of the work that you are going to perform.
- Whether the tree is leaning? If so in what direction?
- What are the probable areas where the tree is expected to fall aka dropping zone?
- Is the drop zone safe? Is there any living beings or building that may get damaged?
- What is the height of the tree and how it will be accommodated in the drop zone?
- Is the drop zone inclined or level?
- Is the trees crown correspond to the tree’s slanting?
- Can the tree get struck up in other trees during its falling?
- Whether the tree has cracks, loose bark, splits, rotted sections etc?
- What is the direction and strength of the wind in that area?
Tree cutting services
Get yourself ready for escape as soon as the tree starts falling. At least 30 feet path has to be made clear and never turn your back toward the tree. If your exit route is at an angle of 45 degrees to the falling direction of the tree, it will help you to be safe from the kick back of the butt of the tree.
Direct the tree
It will be easy to fell a tree in the leaning direction. With little effort one can find a tree service employee who will be happy to help you in your DIY activities and some rope one can guide a tree to fall to the dropping zone though the tree is not slopping in that direction.
Face cut determine the direction in which the tree is going to fall. For this cut a scarf on the tree in the drop zone’s direction. This cut should be inclined at an angle of 45 degrees and should not go beyond 1/3 of the width of the tree. Next cut will be at the in the bottom of the first cut and this cut is without any angle. End of both the cuts should meet at the same location.
The back cut starts from the other side of the notch. This cut should come one to two inches above the corner of the notch. The uncut portion between the above two cuts should be around 1/10 of the diameter of the tree. Find the best tree services silver spring md for this.