Your chimney may seem like the most underrated part of the house, but a chimney inspection by the experts may do wonders for your chimney, your pocket and also save you from many disastrous after-effects. Minor chimney cleaning should be done yourself on a regular basis to avoid the buildup of creosote, tar, and soot and to avoid hazardous accidents. Below are some tips for your chimney maintenance.
Chimney inspection and cleaning
- Start with the basics and clean all the ashes and debris from the fireplace. Chimney cleaning should be done before the winter season so the chimney could be burnt for the cold winter nights. Clean all the ashes with a spade and put it in a bucket.
- After the ashes, you need to clean the creosote. When the fire is burnt in the fireplace, the smoke goes up and out the chimney which leaves behind smoke stains and creosote which is a mixture of soot, brown and black tar and can be highly flammable. Rub the brick walls with soapy water to clean the stubborn stains. Get an annual chimney inspection to remove the soot and tar stains. The creosote is the cause of fires in the chimney and houses.
- Get a chimney cap installed because it will keep out the snow, the debris, small animals and birds, the buildup of bird’s nests and other dust and debris. These all things can cause chimney blockage which may later lead to fires in the house. Also get a wire mesh fixed so that animals may not get in. You will need to maintain your chimney cap as well. Check its condition and whether it needs to be repaired and fixed or not.
- Call for an annual chimney inspection before winters to check if your chimney lining has cracks or not. If you have cracks in your chimney lining or flue lining, then moisture may leak inside and water from snow and rains can also go inside the chimney. Moisture is the worst enemy of your chimney and can completely destroy your chimney. It is also unsafe for you because dangerous and hazardous gases may also leak into the house and moisture is the number one cause of destructive fires in the chimneys.
- For proper chimney maintenance, you can also waterproof your chimney. This way your chimney will be safe from moisture and water leaking inside and will be more durable.
- Also, you need to check for mortar between the bricks. The bricks of the chimney are joined with mortar. This mortar comes off or deteriorates with time. If the mortar is not there to hold the bricks together, then it may also cause your chimney to collapse and cause destruction. Call an expert to check for mortar between the bricks and if it has come off, then it may be fixed again to hold the brick together.
Chimney cleaning annapolis md and maintenance it on a regular basis will increase it life and is also safe for you and your family.